Monday, June 25, 2007

Soapbox #1 (Sorry Grandparents)

As many of you know, I am a pharmacist. I may not be practicing right now, but the health care professional will always be here. I have noticed that most Singaporeans are smaller than Americans in terms of weight. Yes, there are overweight people here, but they seem to be a small minority. We all hear about the obesity epidemic in the U.S., which is real. No epidemic over here. Why? Part of the answer is a diet low in red meat, fatty cheese, junk food, etc., and high in fish and veggies. The other important part (besides genetics) is exercise. In just a few short weeks here, I have seen more middle-aged and elderly people exercising than in my entire life in America. I know that some Americans in this age group exercise, I just haven't seen very many of them.

What I have seen here are large groups of people age 40+ performing calisthenics and tai chi outside in classes led by gray-haired men. I have also seen many pairs of older people walking through the S'pore Botanic Gardens in 90 degree weather. It just seems like a way of life over here, and that's a good thing, not only for physical well-being, but also for mental health.

I am inspired by these exercisers, and hope you will be too, if you don't already exercise. I am walking for fitness now after almost 2 years of no formal exercise. Though I'm tired because I still haven't caught up on all the lost sleep of pregnancy and parenthood, I have forced myself to walk most mornings with the boys in their jogging stroller before it gets too hot. I'm finally starting to firm up a little, but the difference in my mental well-being is what I've noticed more. I am sleeping better, and I actually feel as though I have some energy now. I will soon start karate workouts again. I have missed the dojo, and now I am ready to resume training.

I know, I know, it's easy for me to say and do because I'm not working. If you don't already, just try to make some time to do some form of low impact exercise three or more times per week. Check with your MD first, especially if you have any physical issues and/or have not exercised in a long time. Take it easy in the beginning. You will ache the first few weeks, perhaps, but you will get to a point soon when you feel good instead of exhausted and sore. Just do something!

Exercise benefits young toddlers too. After swimming, Graeme and Liam sleep better and take longer naps. They are fascinated with climbing the stairs too, so I encourage this activity as much as possible. I'm not sure how much physical benefit they get from dancing to music, but it certainly is good for my mental health to watch them bouncing when they hear a tune they like.

Enough already with the advice. I promise to keep it light next time. Maybe Sean will contribute some humorous S'pore and Hong Kong anecdotes - he's got a few to share already.

No comments: