Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Same Old Song and Dance

Good news: Both Liam and Graeme have been accident-free for several days, excluding night-time issues. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by putting that in writing.

Bad news: Night-time issues. For the past three nights, Liam has peed while sleeping and hasn't woken up. He wakes up in the morning reeking of urine, so I've had to shower him off before breakfast. I think he's sleeping so soundly because he's catching up on his lost sleep from the previous three weeks.

Graeme got up two nights in a row to pee (waking me up first) , and woke up the following mornings with a dry bed - yay! Unfortunately he peed in his bed last night, then rubbed his urine-soaked pajama top on my sheets when he woke me to tell me about it. There's been a lot of extra laundry lately, and I still haven't slept through the night (over a month now). Sean is getting to sleep through the night this week only because he's in Shanghai. Also, Graeme is stuck on waking up between 5:30 and 6:00 am now. This too shall pass, I tell myself, as I struggle to stay awake each afternoon around 3 pm when the exhaustion hits. Coke Light (Diet Coke to Americans) has again become my friend.

Random stuff:

Sean opened a book on rockets and spaceships the other night at bedtime, preparing to read, but waiting for Liam to finish in the bathroom. Graeme, with the impatience of a toddler, pointed to the words on the page and said, "Talk about that, Daddy!" in his best Micro voice. He obviously wasn't content just looking at the pictures for a couple of minutes.

Liam now makes anything into a rocket which he will then fly around the house making a rocket/blast-off noise. Examples include forks or spoons during lunch or dinner, the drain plug to the bathtub, the wooden stick used to play his frog instrument, his fiddlesticks during Kindermusik class, and his Lego Duplo rockets that he builds himself. Future astronaut? Maybe, if he turns into a math and science geek like his mom was in school.

Both Liam and Graeme now see imaginary animals. Liam started this a few weeks ago when he first talked about a peacock being in his room. This past weekend, the boys were talking to a peacock apparently hiding behind Sean's nightstand. There's a peacock in their Elmo video on wild animals, and a peacock in the Tails book. I guess that's where Liam got the idea, which he has shared with Graeme. Liam has also had an imaginary dog sitting next to his chair while he ate. Whatever works, I say.

A little girl fell down and bit her lip at playgroup on Tuesday, and her mom took her into the bathroom to wipe off the small drop of blood. Graeme was very concerned about her, and he asked me, "Is she okay?" several times. It's good to know that he's empathetic to others besides Liam and me. Liam, who is usually concerned about this type of thing, was instead focused on a kid-sized pretend electric guitar. He put the strap around his body and said, "I have a guitar!" about twenty times. Rock star or astronaut? Here's hoping for the latter.

The boys turned 2 and 1/2 on the 17th. It's hard to believe that these funny little people were my tiny babies not so long ago. I can't wait to see and hear what's next with them. Now, if they would just sleep...

No comments: