Friday, February 6, 2009

Crazy, But That's How it Goes

Yesterday Liam displayed his lovable strangeness. All day long, he called everyone honey, except he pronounced it "hun-ee" in his little sweet voice. "No, hun-ee, we're going to draw now, not read", he said to Graeme at one point. "Please get the markers for me, hun-ee", he said to me.

After his shower in the morning, Liam was wearing his hooded towel when Graeme spotted a piece of lint on Liam's face. Liam did not know it was there, because when Graeme pointed to his face and asked him, "What's that?", Liam removed the towel, touched the top of his head, and said in a serious voice, "It's a head, Graeme, a head". Not "my head"; "a head". I couldn't keep myself from laughing out loud.

That incident was nothing compared to his pre-nap time shenanigans. While trying not to fall asleep, Liam got up on all fours with his butt facing me, and slapped his butt like a rap video vixen while looking at me with a smile. He then sat on his usually beloved stuffed dog Snug and said, "Poot, poot!" which needs no explanation regarding his meaning. Immediately thereafter, Liam laid on top of Snug, said "Bagel, bagel!", and then grabbed Snug's paw and made Snug tap out. He then laughed, laid back on his pillow while hugging Snug, and decided to calm down. I closed my wide-open mouth and left the room before cracking up.

As if that wasn't enough, the incident that made me really laugh occurred after nap time. We were downstairs in the basement, and I forgot to bring the toddler potty seat down with us. When Liam had to go to the bathroom, I put the stool in front of the potty and told him to climb on. He has been climbing onto the regular toilet seat by himself for a few weeks if the toddler potty seat is not around, so I expected no problems this time. Even though he looked directly at the toilet before climbing up, he got up on the stool, turned around, and sat down as though the toddler seat was on. Meaning, he fell in. His lower legs, arms, and head were sticking out, and he started flailing around and crying. I picked him up and hugged him, noticed that his butt was wet from toilet water, and then burst out laughing, loudly. I just couldn't control myself. Liam finally recovered and began laughing too. After he peed without falling in, he returned to the playroom and had a tea party with his rubber dinosaurs and stuffed pink elephant.

The final funny of the day was actually said by Graeme, but he was responding to my scolding of Liam, so it counts as a goofy moment involving Liam. After the tea party, Liam decided to throw plastic food across the playroom, and I told him to shape up or he'd get a long time-out. Graeme poked his head out of the cool egg chair from Ikea where he was hiding, and said, "Hey, my brother's being bad!", as though I hadn't noticed. I think he was trying to point out that the offender was Liam without any involvement from Graeme at all.

I was waiting for something else to happen at dinner or thereafter, but I guess the craziness died down after 5 pm. I'm glad I made notes of these incidents so I could remember everything. I think I'll start carrying around a tiny notebook or Post-its, just in case. I'm sure the boys will enjoy reading about themselves when they're older - ha! In the meantime, the rest of us can have a few laughs.

No comments: