Sunday, March 2, 2008

Freedom!

Ah yes, the fun has begun. Liam's poop schedule had somehow switched to bedtime over this past week, and he did not want to go to sleep after I changed him Friday night. He decided to climb out of his crib, which he had tried to do occasionally in the past but couldn't quite make it. Luckily I was still in the room, because he came out head first, laughing. I was in front of Graeme's crib when Liam did it, but I managed to move and catch him when his head was about 4 inches from the hardwood floor. Thanks, senseis, for my training, which helped me develop quick reflexes and further develop some decent speed.

My little darling, who is normally a great sleeper, decided he would not settle down in his crib with me watching to make sure he fell asleep. If he had fallen asleep, I was then going to grab a ton a pillows just for the night since Graeme somehow fell asleep during Liam's show and I didn't want to wake him. Anyway, Liam thought it was great fun to jump on the bed and throw Snug, his stuffed dog, across the room. I finally gave up and took him to my room rather than take a chance on him breaking his neck or waking up G-man with mattress moving and the resulting running around the room, etc. Liam eventually fell asleep in my bed, just over 2 hours past his regular bedtime. That little kid somehow took up the whole king-sized bed. He moves more than I do as he sleeps. Of course, Sean is in China during this all of this fun.

Saturday I moved the mattresses to the floor across from one another and tried to wheel the cribs out of their room so I can convert them to toddler beds. Of course, they won't fit through the door, so I realize I'll have to work on them in the room, which has a skinny rectangular shape. Before I even start that, I get the matching toddler bed rails we special-ordered out of storage and open the boxes. These are short rails in the same color wood and design as the crib, so they'll keep the boys from falling out of the bed and look nice too. Though the wood color is right and the box has the correct name of the crib on it, something seems a little off. Internet research confirms that Babies R Us ordered rails with the right name, but the wrong style. I hadn't opened the box when I received them last year just before we moved because I didn't need them then. Yay! I realize I will now have several choices: leave the mattresses on the floor for a while and completely take the cribs apart to remove them; make the toddler day bed anyway by taking off the dropside rail and buying portable crib rails; or take the cribs apart and buy two beds that will somehow fit in this narrow room. After last night's shenanigans, which I'll remark on next, I'm opting for #2, since I finally located a store with portable crib rails in stock supposedly. I'll be taking the boys this afternoon to buy them once they get up from their nap.

Liam was super tired yesterday from being up Friday night, so he had no problem napping with his mattress on the floor. I put Graeme in the pack n play in the guest room for his nap as I always do. They slept 3 hours, so they caught up a little. Last night, though, they went crazy at bedtime. I read them their usual story which makes them drowsy, gave them hugs and kisses, and placed each one on his mattress. They immediately got up and started jumping around. Graeme ran from his mattress to Liam's and flopped down, then they both ran to Graeme's and flopped down, then they discovered they could reach their books and stuffed animals on the bookshelf, etc. Eventually I put the two mattresses together surrounded by pillows, and Graeme started to get really tired (an hour after the story). Liam, however, continued to act like someone gave him caffeine and a huge piece of cake. He would start climbing on Graeme, who was trying to calm down, and Graeme would pull his hair, which caused Liam to cry. Liam, in his loony state, could not match cause with effect and kept bothering Graeme. I tried leaving the room a couple of times, thinking maybe it was just a show for me, but both of them followed me. Finally, 2 hours and 15 minutes after their usual 7 pm bedtime, they went to sleep while I watched from near the door.

Graeme woke up at 6:15 this morning, and instead of yelling "mommy, mommy, mommy" from his crib, he just opened the door, ran into my room, and yelled it in my face. We just stayed home this morning because I knew they would be cranky. They were zombies today an hour before our usual lunchtime. I ended up feeding them at 11 and they were asleep by 11:40. Sounds like Graeme is awake now, so all for now. Think of me when you're sleeping snugly in your bed tonight!

No comments: