Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It Happened ONE Night

Based on the earlier post, you can imagine we’ve been reading lots of potty training books. Yes this is going to be one of those posts; those not interested can link out here or here (if you’re looking for Gable and Colbert).

Reading lots of books and sitting on the portable mini potties. At bath time on Thursday (which was Labor Day national holiday in Singapore) we were stripping the lads down and wiping them off, when I noticed Liam head for his special corner and turn his back. He then looked down and stuck his hips forward, and I screamed “get the potty.” The hilarity of tripping, fumbling, falling and shouting that followed defies words, but suffice it to say that it was enough to create a shy bladder for Liam.

In any case, we got him naked and then let him sit down before proceeding to torture brush his brother’s teeth. I was running the bath water and Tiffany was brushing teeth when I glanced over at Liam, who was grinning like a fool. I raised a skeptical eyebrow and then spotted the little yellow puddle in the potty beneath him. I was so shocked that it took me a minute to say, “Honey, he did it.” She was so shocked it took another minute for her to understand what I was saying. Once she did, our immediate focus became getting him to stop reaching into to bowl and investigating what he had done.

After the applause stopped Liam looked so startled that I was afraid he might never do it again. So far I’ve been right.

No comments: